Hour-long high-speed chase nets two arrests

EVANSTON — Two Colorado residents are in custody after an hour-long high-speed chase that began in Evanston and ended in Sweetwater County Monday, April 1.

The chase began around 10:55 a.m. on Hwy. 150 near the Wyoming State Hospital, when an Evanston police officer clocked a silver Volvo sports car with temporary Colorado plates going 51 mph in a 30-mph zone, according to EPD Lt. Ken Pearson. The car got on Interstate 80 eastbound at the Front Street onramp, where the officer followed in pursuit. The officer informed dispatch of the chase, and Wyoming Highway Patrol troopers were notified immediately.

The Evanston officer called off his pursuit at milepost 6. Pearson said the city’s law enforcement pickups aren’t ideal for such chases.

The vehicle was then seen near milepost 16 by a Uinta County ambulance, and the driver notified dispatch. WHP Lt. Matt Arnell said troopers went up Hwy. 89 to search for the vehicle and another went up Hwy. 412.

“And that’s where a trooper found it, just coming through Carter,” Arnell said. “It ran again, and a pursuit began as it traveled down 412 then got on I-80 eastbound.”

Arnell said the vehicle was going 120-140 mph and driving recklessly on the interstate, passing vehicles on the right and weaving in and out of traffic.

A trooper with the Rock Springs division was able to deploy a spike strip on a bridge deck at milepost 61, Arnell said. The car continued east until exit 66, where the driver pulled over because the front passenger tire, which struck the spike strip, had completely fallen apart.

Arnell said the driver was Ryan Pagel and the passenger was identified as Heidi Schaff. Both had outstanding warrants; Schaff’s was out of Carbon County for probation revocation, and Pagel’s was out of Colorado for failure to comply, though his is not extraditable. Arnell said Schaff was also found to be in possession of methamphetamine. Both were arrested at 11:50 a.m., Arnell said.


More In Homepage