EVANSTON — The Evanston High School boys’ swim team opened 2020 in fine fashion over the weekend, finishing second at their home invite Saturday and third at the Rock Springs Invitational the day before.
In front of a raucous crowd at Davis Middle School Saturday morning, Green River topped the field at the Evanston Invite with 295 points, followed by Evanston with 232 points. Rock Springs (209 points), Rawlins (184 points) and Kemmerer (182 points) rounded out the top five teams.
“We had a great weekend,” said EHS head coach Jim Levine. “The kids are really swimming strong, and it showed in the results. And the crowd at our home invite was fantastic. That place was packed.”
The Red Devils won four events at their home invite, led by Jaxon Nicholls’ wins in the 100 butterfly and the 100 backstroke. Colter Camphouse finished first in the 200 freestyle, while the team of Gage Beachler, Ben Cook, Timmy Bloomfield and Camphouse won the 200 freestyle relay.
“All those boys are competitors,” Levine said. “As a coach, you can’t ask for much more than that.”
The Red Devils had a number of standout performances at the Evanston Invite Saturday to go along with the team’s four event-winners.
Camphouse, Vince Bloomfield, Nicholls and Beachler finished second in the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:39.74.
Along with swimming a leg on the winning 200 freestyle relay team, Beachler was the top Red Devil finisher in the 50 freestyle, posting a fifth-place finish with a 4A state-qualifying time of 24.03. Ben Cook was fourth in the 200 IM with a time of 2:22.05; he also finished fifth in the 100 breaststroke, posting a time of 1:13.35.
Camphouse added a third-place finish in the 100 freestyle (53.38) to go along with his list of accomplishments on the day.
Connor Fackrell was the top Red Devil finisher in the 500 freestyle, placing fourth with a time of 5:52.47. Fackrell also finished 13th in the 100 backstroke (1:15.79).
“Connor just missed qualifying for state in that 500,” Levine said. “He swam hard and tried his best. He’ll get there.”
Jayden Cornell had a solid day in the pool, swimming a leg on the 200 medley relay team that finished fourth; he was ninth in the 100 backstroke. Vince Bloomfield also swam a leg in the 200 medley relay, was sixth in the 100 freestyle and 11th in the 50 freestyle.
Rock Springs Invitational
At Friday’s Rock Springs Invite, the Red Devils finished third in the five-team field with 251 points; Green River was first with 346 points, while Rock Springs was second with 255 points.
Evanston won five events, and Colter Camphouse had a hand in four of them, winning individual titles in the 200 IM (2:14.57) and the 100 butterfly (1:01.69), both 4A state-qualifying times.
“Colter is a beast,” Levine said.
Ben Cook was tops in the 50 freestyle with a 4A state-qualifying time of 24.93; it’s the first time Cook has qualified in the event.
“Ben winning the 50 was just icing on the cake,” Levine said.
The team of Jaxon Nicholls, Cook, Timmy Bloomfield and Camphouse won the 200 medley relay in a time of 1:52.52.
The 200 freestyle relay team of Vince Bloomfield, Gage Beachler, Nicholls and Camphouse won the event in a time of 1:38.70.
The Red Devils had a trio of second-place finishes at Rock Springs: Beachler finished second in the 100 freestyle with a time of 56.20, while Nicholls also posted a second-place finish in the 500 freestyle (5:49.78). Cook finished runner-up in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:06.44.
Michael /tobin was third in the 100 freestyle, posting a time of 58.38.
The Red Devils were without Jayden Cornell in the meet, who had made prior commitments; Levine said the junior was missed.
“He’s a solid part of our lineup, so he was missed,” the longtime coach said of Cornell. “His absence hurt us a little bit in the scoring, but he had some school functions that, of course, take precedence. He’s a point-getter for us.”
The Red Devils head to Cheyenne this week, with meets scheduled at Cheyenne Central Friday and Cheyenne South Saturday.
“There’s always plenty to work on before then,” Levine said. “We’ll work on our starts and turns this week, we’re weakest there. But I think the boys will be ready to go. If they keep working hard and stay healthy, they’ll be fine.”
Evanston Invite Results
1. Green River 295, 2. Evanston 232, 3. Rock Springs 209, 4. Rawlins 184, 5. Kemmerer 182, 6. Lyman 120
200 Medley Relay
4. Jaxon Nicholls, Ben Cook, Jayden Cornell, Vince Bloomfield 1:54.80, 12. Alex Stewart, Quinn Stokes, McKoy Vozakis, Peter Milewski 2:33.97
1. Colter Camphouse 1:59.08, 7. Timmy Bloomfield 2:08.22, 11. Michael Tobin 2:12.17, 15. Peter Milewski 2:31.27
4. Ben Cook 2:22.05, 15. Quinn Stokes 3:11.86, 16. Alex Stewart 3:12.88
5. Gage Beachler 24.03, 11. Vince Bloomfield 25.32, 13. Michael Tobin 25.91, 30. Tyler O’Driscoll 35.59
3. Colter Camphouse 53.38, 6. Vince Bloomfield 56.63, 8. Hunter Jensen 58.45, 19. Parker Milewski 1:06.26
1. Jaxon Nicholls 59.55, 6. Timmy Bloomfield 1:05.24, 9. Jayden Cornell 1:08.35, 16. McKoy Vozakis 1:46.04
4. Connor Fackrell 5:52.47, 12. Alex Stewart 7:13.34, 16. Tyler O’Driscoll 8:29.36
200 Freestyle Relay
1. Gage Beachler, Ben Cook, Timmy Bloomfield, Colter Camphouse 1:38.96, 7. Hunter Jensen, Michael Tobin, Parker Milewski, Connor Fackrell 1:50.22
1. Jaxon Nicholls 58.82, 9. Jayden Cornell 1:10.29, 13. Connor Fackrell 1:15.79
5. Ben Cook 1:13.35, 7. Hunter Jensen 1:14.91, 15. Gage Beachler 1:21.51, 21. Quinn Stokes 1:37.28, 22. McKoy Vozakis 1:37.52
400 Freestyle Relay
2. Colter Camphouse, Vince Bloomfield, Jaxon Nicholls, Gage Beachler 3:39.74, 7. Jayden Cornell, Timmy Bloomfield, Connor Fackrell, Hunter Jensen 4:00.73